I suggest you ...

Remember the current episode position

If I can't listen an entire episode, I would like to just close the window and then reopen it in a later time, resuming the episode I was listening to.

119 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrea Di GiorgiAndrea Di Giorgi shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Satellite BRSatellite BR commented  · 

+1 for syncing position between devices!

• Phil PeartreePhil Peartree commented  · 

I'd very much like this, and syncing position between devices!

• Chris LacyChris Lacy commented  · 

I'd gladly pay for the app/web to sync position. Only thing keeping me with Pocket Casts on my androids.

• Michael MahemoffAdminMichael Mahemoff (Chief Experience Officer, Player FM) commented  · 

Thanks for your comments.

David - a listening queue or "save for later" feature is definitely something I want to, especially after search was introduced. I first need to introduce a playlist feature, which it would be built on, and also the "already listened" feature mentioned by Nathan and Matt in order to make it useful.

I've been working on the Android app recently and once it's ready and stabilised, these are the kinds of features I plan to introduce.

• NathanNathan commented  · 

Just to +1 the already listened feature, it would be great if the user stream could exclude podcasts I have already heard, would get me deeper into the back log when I do take a listen :)

Wondering if this should really be a different idea in here...

• David EckersleyDavid Eckersley commented  · 

Just adding on from Matt's comment, I'd like a playlist style function that allows me to list and play through new (un-played) podcasts in chronological order (i.e. oldest first) that effectively helps me keep track of what I've already listened to and what I should be listening to next (to help keep everything in the released ordered). This would obviously rely on a 'finished listening' flag and would be enhanced by current play back position tracking.

Hope you can squeeze this functionality in sometime soon.

Also, making this data available via the api and taking updates from third party players would be pretty cool also.

• bwillbwill commented  · 

Interesting that this isn't a feature - it's essentially the only reason I'd use an app like this, and was the reason I sought it out.

• Michael MahemoffAdminMichael Mahemoff (Chief Experience Officer, Player FM) commented  · 

Andrea - on current episode position, I did some work a while ago to improve the streaming experience, but unfortunately a lot of podcasts still take a long time to jump to a deep position in the MP3, because the servers don't support "random access", ie browser has to load up everything until that point. It needs some more experimentation, but this is the biggest challenge for re-opening to a certain point. The buffering time could be a minute or longer in some cases.

Matt - Agree this is certainly valuable. The challenge here is I'd really like to get this right by syncing this in the cloud, but I might just experiment with a local storage version initially (which would work only on one browser). I have to complete some other work right now around channel curation, as we're making it easy to find local content, but I will look at doing some experimenting with play tracking after that.

• Matt HenkelMatt Henkel commented  · 

Once a podcast has been played I'd also like to see it flagged as such (and playback should skip those tracks unless they're specifically selected to be played).

Feedback and Knowledge Base